There are two primary layers involved in the governance system when you own a multisite on Pantheon.
Organization admin (full portfolio)
- Site owner (specific WP site)
Network site admin (all sites)
- Site admin (individual site)
This means that both Pantheon and your team manage different aspects of your multisite.
Pantheon's responsibilities include:
- Managing themes
- Other technical aspects
Your team's responsibilities include:
- Content creation and editing
- Content accessibility
- Creating pages (site administrator)
- Managing site settings (site administrator)
- Managing pages and posts
- Uploading media
- Editing menus
Each WordPress site is owned or maintained by a different group at the Pantheon level. There is a management difference between who owns the Pantheon account and can update code versus who manages the application with content and site-specific configuration. For example:
Site Owner US owns the US Pantheon site
- Manager X manages WordPress
Site Owner UK owns UK the Pantheon site
- Manger Y manages WordPress
A multisite setup can be more efficient for teams as long as roles and responsibilities are defined.
- 1 person in this role
- Pays for account
- Manages users who manage the platform, such as adding plugins, running backups, etc.
WordPress Network Administrator
- 2 people in this role
- Manages the core WP site
- Assigns users to country-specific subsites
Individual Network Site Owners
- 3 - 5 people in this role
- Manages content and plugin settings for an individual multisite