In this lesson, we'll upgrade from a free account to a paid plan by adding billing information or inviting a business owner to pay.
Contract customers should contact their account manager when they're ready to upgrade their site plan.
Use Your Own Card
To upgrade and pay for the site now, add your payment method:
- From the Pantheon Site Dashboard, click the Upgrade button next to the Site's name.
- Click the Select button under the plan you choose.
- At the Choose Billing step, select the billing frequency: Pay Annually or Pay Monthly.
- If you've chosen a Performance Plan, choose the size and click Continue.
- If you've chosen a Basic Plan, click Continue.
- Click + Add New Card and enter the credit card information, then click Add Card to save the card information.
- Click Continue and if everything looks right, click Place Your Order to confirm your purchase.
- Contact Support if you need any help.
As the site owner, you’ll receive an email confirming the change to the site. After the site billing is processed, you’ll receive an updated invoice.
Transfer Ownership and Billing for This Site
This is the most common way non-agency developers and Registered Agencies (i.e. non-Partner Agencies) deliver completed sites to their clients. If you are a Partner Agency looking to ensure that your client receives preferred pricing, you should instead send an invitation to your client to pay for the site.
Single-site businesses can also use this method when site ownership needs to be transferred to someone else within the company. The invitation will guide the recipient through adding their payment method to the site for the designated plan.
We recommend communicating with the business owner well in advance of sending a transfer request. It's a good idea to have them notify you once they've upgraded so you can continue the going live procedure. Feel free to share the Site Owner FAQ guide with them.
This process will transfer ownership of the site. The account paying for the site is automatically assigned the Site Owner role. Agencies maintain access by being associated as a Supporting Organization.
- From the Pantheon Site Dashboard, click on the Billing tab.
- Click on Transfer Site. Enter the email address associated with the account you want to transfer site ownership to.
- Click Send Request. The recipient will need to confirm the transfer.
Resellers and Enterprise organizations should contact their Account Manager or create a Support ticket to request a transfer of ownership.
Level Up: Load and Performance Tests (Optional)
Ready to launch like the pros?
Now that you've upgraded your site to a paid plan, it's the perfect time to test how your site works in the wild.
In preparation for these tests, activate New Relic APM Pro so you can observe your site's performance like a maverick. This service is accessible from the Pantheon Site Dashboard for all site plans except Basic, and it offers a nearly real-time look into the performance of a web application.
Measure your site's response time to proactively expose potential bottlenecks. We recommend running performance tests before you run load tests.
Make sure your site can withstand peak traffic spikes after launch. This test should be performed on the Live environment before the site has launched, after performance testing.